Thursday, December 27, 2007

Transportation woes in Singapore

I always complain about driving is expensive in Singapore. It is definitely much more expensive than public transport, but I still prefer to get stuck in a traffic jam (wasting time) than waiting for public transport. This entry may be a very long one but I'll make it better with headings.

Why I choose car over public transport (Summary)

  • When I’m stuck in a jam, I can still relax in my car, listening to music etc. I do not have to squeeze with people like a sardine in a bus/train.
  • I can live with inconsiderate drivers – with a few years of driving experience, I just know how to keep a distance away from these drivers.
  • I cannot live with inconsiderate public transport users – just 1 main factor: personal hygiene. Some people just smell.
  • Paying a few hundred more monthly is still affordable at my level; I am a happy car driver.
Public transport in Singapore


The main focus of the ministry is to bring about efficient and cost-effective transportation to enhance our economic competitiveness and quality of life.
It strives to make Singapore an international civil aviation and maritime centre for the region.

New Transport Minister PDF Print E-mail
Written by Rachel Chan
Tuesday, 26 December 2006

Singapore's transport system underwent changes at every level this year, with increases in bus, MRT and taxi fares, to a new Transport Minister - Mr Raymond Lim. He plans to draw up a blueprint for improvement for public transport. A new set of bus service standards, which has been drawn up based on commuters' expectations, will see buses arrive on time, be less crowded and travel faster. In the aviation industry, Changi Aiport is expected to sustain its status as the region's hub.
Source

I have doubts over their mission statement. If they want to bring good services to us, will they have price hike to achieve "maximum profit"?

Why are there so many cars now?
  • COE/ERP doesn't work well as proven. If COE is still very expensive like over $30k, I will think there will be much lesser cars in Singapore.
  • To get a car in the past, you need at least 30% downpayment. With $0 driveaway & 10 years 100% loan now, you can see just too many cars.
  • Just blame it on the poor public transportation!
  • Over-population? Our population is about 4m currently & we are aiming for 6.5m! Just wait and see how crowded everywhere will be in another few years.
Look at the public transportation in HK.
this time in HK, its more crowded then last yr but I had no problem travelling ard on Xmas eve and on Xmas day itself

1: 24th Dec went to ocean park.. by 6pm the bus queue i think almost 300M long... but it took only 15 mins of few double deck buses (no standing) to clear myself at the end of the queue out. Was so amazed with the buese respond to a situation like that.

2: taken more then 10 MTR trips... and probably 9 out of 10 times I was spared a seat as I am with my 2 years old kid. In SIngapore I considered lucky if i get 1 out of 10 times of such courtesy.

3: Xmas eve so went dinner.. then by 11pm want to go back and the taxi (with service available) are everywhere. Picture here:


4: all the buese here (at least Citybus) has this LED to tell u the next stop... extreamly useful for those unfamiliar with the place they going. I think spore only few SMRT buses has this rite??


5: buses here also very on time. never late, but also never early. and the network here is very good.. almost everywhere i can take bus/mini bus when MTR is not accessing those places.

Not to say the grass is greeener on the other side, but my 6th day here is good enough for me to conclude the above, esp i took a lot of public transport over these last few days. 4 more days to go and i am glad with what i seen so far.

ONLY PROBLEM: MTR and buses here not as cheap as singapore.
Source

You see, I am just like any other typical human. If I can get around in Singapore comfortably in a bus/train, why the heck will I want a car?

I just want to have a seat during my journey.
I just don't want to spend 30-60minutes to wait for a bus.
I just don't want to squeeze with so many people.

If our public transport becomes...
  1. at most 10 minutes of waiting times
  2. bring you from point A to point B is shortest possible time. (20 minute as claimed by someone - driving in Singapore)
  3. a comfortable journey
I will gladly sell my car and hop onto any bus.

A summary of why are there so much problems.
  1. self centered Singaporeans (including me)
  2. money orientated organizations
  3. over-population
My wish list (Which is impossible la)
  1. Another expressway built above current CTE - CTE2?
  2. Lesser people? (Yes, you can tell me to move. Sure i will when i earn enough)
  3. A more social gracious society (boy, this one will be hard!)
  4. More purchasing power! (Either control inflation or raise income)
But i know i am dreaming.. at least i hope that my future will be bright enough.
Doing things what i love and earning enough for retirement to maintain my lifestyle.

No comments: