Monday, July 02, 2007

My guide to Fat loss II

Please visit my new website for all my updated articles. Thank you!

I hope you guys lost some fat after reading
Guide to fat loss I. It's time for the 2nd part now.

Assuming one have a decent diet plan & workout plan, you should experience some fat loss. The rate of fat loss will slow down. (remember body adaptation?)

So now, we will need to plan our workout. Doing the same thing all the time will not work.

After reading up from OPT & CoachJon, and experimenting with my own body, i agree with them that High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a good way to lose more body fat.

HIIT
Do some specific warm up before hand.
Sprint (jog or stride or brisk walk; depending on individual's fitness level) 30 sec
Walk (jog) for 30 sec

This is 1 cycle.

* Repeat for 4-xx cycles.

Cool down.

End of HIIT training. With a 4 cycles HIIT, you will need less than 10 minutes of workout time.

Now to the planning part,
1st week: 4 cycles
2nd week: 5 cycles
.....
8th week: 11 cycles

Fat loss will slow down due to body adaptation, so remember to increase the intensity of training by increasing running speed & increasing the number of cycles.

Remember to do HIIT 2-3 times a week. Doing once a week isn't really helpful.

Diet
With that 6 decent small meals a day, you are still experiencing slowing down of fat loss! what to do?

Start to reduce your calories intake too. Start with around 50-100 calories lesser a day. Have this for a week or so and reduce another 100 calories.

Question: Won't we be hitting below the "safe 1200 calories/day" sooner or later?
Answer: Yes. Depending on weight/BF% etc, stop reducing calories intake further after a certain point. I will try to explain a bit later on.

Plan
We have to plan because of body adaptation!

Diet plan: (for example)
Week 1: 1500 calories
Week 2: 1400 calories
Week 3: 1300 calories
Week 4: 1200 calories
REST!!!! Have your usual diet of around 1500 calories.
After resting for a week or 2, have the calories deficit diet plan slowly again.

***Do note "good calories" v "bad calories"***
1500 good calories is better than 1200 bad calories.


Same with HIIT training,
4 cycles in 1st week.
up to 11 cycles by 8th week.
Rest for a week or 2, repeat the same 8 weeks plan.

It's still the same with muscle building program!
xx reps xx sets for 8 weeks.
rest
yy reps yy sets for 8 weeks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That will be all. My guide to fat loss II with poor organization, poor grammer & poor everything. It may look so bad to pro trainers, but please appreciate what i have done here. This part II can explain to many newbies why they are not experiencing fat loss after a certain period of a lifestyle change. They may get fed up & switch back to their poor lifestyle again. I hope this will let you think your next step in achieving your lean body again.

Think about this: Do you want fastest fat loss in shortest possible time and see maybe 3kg of fat loss or do you want to do it slowly & progressively so that you can lose 10kg of fat in the long run? I will certainly choose the latter.

Think about this too: Average age of my clients is 27. They are still "lean" at the age of 18. You took 9 years to accumlate all these fat, how short a period of time do you want to lose the fat? 1 month? (unrealistic) 6 months? (with good diet and workout plan, you can) 1 year? (slow & steady win the race)


***Important***
Please note that the figures above are for illustration purpose only, please find out how many calories is good for you.


I did this article within 1 hour, gotta rush project & sleep early for school tomorrow. So yeah, appreciate.

Do leave comments, i need to know if newbies can understand what i'm trying to convey.

Please visit my new website for all my updated articles. Thank you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand what u mean, and thanks for the intake of calories part. It helps me alot alot!! Sigh.. anyway it's such a shame that there are still so many misconceptions about "fat loss". I hope ur hard work really pays off. Cheers!

-Crystal

Anonymous said...

Kev,

Woohoo! I wanna start HIIT tmr and was just gonna ask you on msn how long I should do for a start. Then when I visit your blog, I got the answer. Hee! Many thanks for sharing with all.

On a separate note, hip abductor are yucks to me. Think I strained my inner thighs muscles. Hurts. Bleah!

Cheers,
Jo

Anonymous said...

jia youuu~

- L.cloud^^